How To Activate a New Xfinity Modem
What is New Xfinity Modem?
Xfinity xFi Gateways combine the technology of an Internet/Voice modem and WiFi router neatly in one piece of equipment, delivering in-home WiFi that’s fast and reliable.
How To Activate a New Xfinity Modem
- Download the Xfinity app for free from Google Play or the App Store.
- Sign in using your Xfinity ID and password.
- If you don’t have an Xfinity ID and password, you can create these on the sign-in page.
- If you’re activating a gateway, you might be prompted to start the activation as soon as you sign in.
- If you aren’t prompted, proceed to Step 3.
- Once you’re signed in, select the Account tab from the bottom right of the Xfinity app.
- Select Activate xFi Gateway or Modem under the Devices section.
- If you’re activating WiFi Boost Pods, select Activate WiFi Boost Pods under the Devices section.
- Note: You can also begin the activation of a Flex streaming TV Box using the Xfinity
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know if my new Xfinity modem is working?
Go to the Devices page in your account. (You may be asked to sign in using your Xfinity ID and password.) Scroll down to Run Diagnostic Check and click Get Started. It will scan your system to see if there are any issues.
Does Xfinity WiFi start immediately?
Living in a WiFi Ready apartment means that you can sign up for Xfinity Internet service and activate it right away, without waiting for a tech visit or Getting Started kit. WiFi Ready apartments have pre-installed, ready-to-use xFi Gateways that can be activated immediately, once you subscribe to Xfinity Internet.
How do I call Xfinity to activate my service?
3. Follow the instructions on the displayed screens. Or, if you would like to activate your new XFINITY Internet service using your phone, please call 1-800-931-0790.
How do I connect to my modem for the first time?
Before you power up your modem, you’ll want to connect it to your computer and your phone jack or cable outlet. To connect it to your computer, plug one end of an Ethernet cable into the Ethernet or LAN port on the back of your modem, then plug the other end into the Ethernet port on the back of your computer.
How long does it take for a modem to activate?
Connect the power cable to the modem and plug the other end into an electrical outlet. Wait for the modem to connect to the network (about 2 to 5 minutes). You’ll know it’s connected when the indicator light on the front of the modem is blue or green.
Why won t my new Xfinity modem connect?
Confirm the equipment cables are plugged in and the coaxial cable has been tightened as much as possible using your fingers to both the wall outlet and your equipment. Unplug your equipment, wait one minute, and then plug it back in. This method, known as powercycling or restarting, can fix many connection problems.
How do I reset my Xfinity modem?
Locate the Reset button on the back of the gateway and use a non-metallic pointed object (such as a toothpick) to hold in the Reset button for 30 seconds until all the LED lights power off. If your gateway does not have a Reset button, locate the WPS button and hold it for 30 seconds.
Do I need a router with my new Xfinity modem?
The Wireless Gateway acts as a modem (connection to the Internet) and a router (connecting multiple devices within the home). While it’s not necessary, you can choose to have a separate router to create the home network in addition to your Wireless Gateway.
How do I activate my Xfinity modem without the app?
Connect your Internet, Voice and/or TV equipment and turn it on. Go online to xfinity.com/activate for easy step-by-step activation instructions.